Thursday, August 21, 2014

MYOB

Why I think the "Not your baby, not your problem" argument is a bunch of baloney.

This is a defense used by a lot of people for a lot of reasons.  Breastfeeding & formula, cry-it-out, diaper choices, abortion, circumcision, and so on and so on.

I understand that parenting choices are personal, and that once a decision is made, most parents will stick to that choice and defend it.  But if the only reasoning they can give is that it's their baby and they can do whatever they want with it...well, is that an actual reason or even reasonable at all? 

I can formula feed my kid, it's not your concern.

I can let my baby cry it out, it's not your concern.

I can circumcise my baby, it's not your concern.

I can abort my baby, it's not your concern.

I can leave my baby in the car, it's not your concern.

I'm pro formula, and I'll admit to trying the CIO method.  So, in the infinite spectrum of choices, when does it actually become a concern for an outsider?

It blows my mind when those on pro-abortion or pro-circumcision sides use this excuse.  It's not MY baby they're squashing out of existence, so why should *I* care at all?  It's not MY son they're cutting for no medical reason, so why should *I* care?  Not long ago, it was perfectly legal to cut a baby girl's genitals, but enough people made it their problem and put a stop to it.  Should that have never happened??

If I saw a baby locked in a hot car, should I just walk away because it's not MY baby?  Should I respect that parent's choice even though I believe that child is in danger and being harmed by the parent's choice??  If I can show the parent that it is a widely accepted fact that leaving your baby in a car is not the best way to go and can be harmful, should I?  (circumcision information??)

When another person shows concern, it's not because they want to pick apart your life or be nosey.  It's because we believe a child is in danger, and we have a responsibility to advocate for that child.

No comments:

Post a Comment