Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Breastfed vs. Formula Fed Debate!

I breastfed my first child and have plans to do the same with my second.  I was incredibly blessed in that I had zero problems with latch, supply, weight gain, or just having the time to do it.  I had support from my medical providers, my husband, and my entire family (and most of them had never breastfed).  I had become a stay at home mom, I was given a pump, I had access to assistance if I needed it.  All in all, it was pretty much a perfect setup.

But...  I have to say that towards the end of the time we breastfed, I was starting to get pretty fed up(pun!) with it.  I had a pump and bottles and could express enough milk, but she would not take a bottle.  It wasn't an issue with nipple size or flow.  Anytime a bottle would pass over her lips she would start screaming and gagging.  Night time feedings started to make me feel really trapped, and I couldn't leave her for more than an hour or so.  Dad was never able to comfort her.  I could hold her and rock and sing and do everything I could to soothe her, but she would not fall asleep without a boob in her mouth.  Nothing was good enough except for the boobs.  I understood it.  Comfort nursing and all that jazz.  But it got to a point where nursing would make me feel really, really resentful.  (why isn't my voice, touch, love enough for you?!)  So, I decided to wean her at 13 months.  It was surprisingly easy.  (we had the most success with toddler straw cups)

Breastfeeding had run its course, and we were better off moving on from it.  I am so grateful for the time that I did get to nurse.  I did enjoy it up until the end, and loved that I was physically capable of doing it.  I have no plans to do anything but nurse with #2.

I am pro-breast.  I am NOT, however, anti-anything-else.

I'm aware that some women are not able to nurse.  They are physically not able to do it.
I'm aware that some women choose not to nurse for various reasons.  Maybe they have no support.  Maybe they feel uncomfortable with the idea of nursing itself.  Maybe they have past traumas and nursing exacerbates those bad feelings.  Maybe they have to work and pumping didn't work for them.
I'm aware that some women just don't want to.  I wanted to.  I was able to, and it was awesome for over a year.  But I have personal, first hand experience with the "I don't want to do this" feeling.

Some people will insist that breastfeeding is best for babies and formulas are full of chemicals and whatnots.  I don't think breastfeeding will make your child invincible, more intelligent, or give them a stronger bond.  (breastfeeding =/= love)  I think it's certainly beneficial, but there are literally millions of healthy, smart, loving formula fed kids out there.  In the end, using breastmilk or formula is a teeny, tiny, minuscule factor in how your kid will turn out.  Both options are nourishing, safe, and can be done with 100% hardcore love.

If you want to breastfeed, and you are able, that's great!  If you want to formula feed, and you are able, that's great!

I think moms on either side are too quick to both judge another and be offended by another.  There is no reason to put down a mother's method of feeding her child or to take another mom's method as an insult.

Things to be upset over

  • Babies that are not having their nutritional needs met because of a parent's personal opinion.
  • Babies that are not treated with love and respect.
  • Moms that force themselves into one option or another despite possible detriment to their own physical, emotional, and mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment